PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corrosion corner FL and similar please
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 22:25
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those old Bluebell//Wrangler and then Tradewind CL-44 were retired and returned to lessor when Tradewinds acquired the one-off L-1011-1 N311EA. With no takers they languished at GSO for some years unattended. When snbowstorms hit (rarely) the snow on the tail would cause them to tilt back on their tails.
Finally, a South African gentleman (I believe) appeared having acquired them. I was Direcor of Quality Control at Tradewinds then and he rented our hangar and some of our mechanics moolinghted for him. He was going to fly thise CL-44 away.
I positively informed our FAA FSDO that Tradewinds had no connection, part or any interest in the restoration of two of the aircraft aside from the hangar lease. I also, being on good terms with the Feds asked them if they had any interest in this restoration process.
They had none since the the gentleman in question (GIQ) was the authorized airworthiness poobah of some Central African country and had an ornate, well sealed paper to prove it. He had a colorful history of flying merceneraries around in Africa and I smelled some CIA influence in the whole matter although that may have been my imagiation.
Two CL-44's were cobbled together using years old spares that had been stored in the aircraft and picking the bones on a third. The first took off on a test hop and landed in Bermuda. Not bad for the first flight after some years of sitting. Second leg was across the pond. Second plane left later and also made it.
One of the mechanics had accompanied one of the flights and kept in touch with the GIQ. He received a message about the fate of one of the aircraft. Apparently the GIQ was flying it sans copilot with a number of gentlemen in back (it was a freighter remember), their armament status not indicated. An engine caught fire (Tradewinds had sufferred a Tyne fire some years before). He lost control but, after some violent maneuvers he regained it just in time to plough into a clearing. All escaped. Not many aircraft have suchj an interesting career.