PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 5th Sep 2020, 13:41
king surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few of my thoughts.
If a second round of CR's happen then I cannot see the remainder of the pilot workforce taking another large slice of their salaries to pay to save more jobs. BALPA can bleat all they like but the ball is firmly in BA's court and they will ultimately do what they want to do in the end.
If LIFO is used again than this will wipe out a lot of short haul pilots which the company will not want to see as it is the busiest fleet at the moment.

The problem for BA is the USA which is a huge part of its market. New York alone generates a billion dollars in revenues alone.
BA over the years has got rid of so many routes over the years( dozens) and have put all their eggs in one basket with the USA. BA flies some 50 times a week to California alone. The company got greedy in everything it did and no matter how hard the workforce worked it was never enough
BA also did not learn its lesson after 911 which forced the 747 classic out of the skies. Ultimately before Covid BA was running an ageing thirsty fleets of aircraft and this crisis has exposed this.
The Summer is over and I feel the next set of quarterly figures will make grim reading .
Apologies for being negative but personally I am struggling to see a way forward without some sort of government intervention and soon.