PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing Hitler in real life
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 10:52
Hokulea

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts
This is turning into a very interesting discussion. I didn't mean it to turn out this way, but this is the beauty of online forums.

So, back in around 1984 or so, I gave up caddying at Sunningdale. Nearly everyone I caddied for was a rich jerk. There were exceptions, but I got fed up being treated as a piece of dirt so started working part-time at a nursing home. It made sense at the time, I would work weekends there while being at school and both my mother and sister were nurses and it sort of ran in the family. On my very first day of work there I became friends with a man called Arther Swales. He was 101 years old, experienced both WWI and WWII and god knows what else. I would stay after work just to talk to him and we both loved cricket. His sight had gone but he loved listening to TMS so we would sit together listening to England being thrashed. I even became friends with his family. I learned so much from that wonderful man and was so upset when I learned he'd passed away at 102.

Excuse me, I'm raving a little bit, but in the six years I worked there, from school to university just trying to keep myself above water financially, I cared for two or three men that had lived through WWI, but several more old ladies. Nearly all of them had been engaged to or married soldiers that fought during that war and their husbands never came back. If my memory serves, none of them remarried - that was the done thing back then.

I'm not quite sure why I mentioned this, but it had a profound effect on me - a generation that lived by principles and stuck to them. I hope people understand why I posted this.

For those curious, this is where I worked:

https://ben.org.uk/our-services/care...ntres/lynwood/

The place has changed a lot since I last worked there around 1990, but I have so many stories I could tell just by caring for the people there, but most of them would be about cars! However, I still think back to those days and feel grateful I was able to spend time with and learn from that generation.