PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 09:30
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
@Bus Driver Man

Depends what you mean by speed. The far superior Airbus groundspeed mini system will absolutely nail your groundspeed. And ground speed is of course what is important when landing, (as long as it keeps within sensible IAS limits, which it does).

As far as energy, well the ground speed mini system preserves energy, so even if the engines briefly reduce towards idle, the aircraft energy will be preserved, so no bad things should happen.

SOPs require the engines to be spooled up at 1000', and on gusty days with groundspeed mini there is a chance they might happen to be briefly at flight idle at this point. Personally, I am happy knowing the energy is preserved.

If the engines spool up massively just as you flare; they will be doing so to regain Vgs mini and preserve the energy, but if you think it is a problem you can just bring the thrust levers back out of the CLB detent early to limit this before pulling them all the way back to idle.

Your slowly reacting auto-thrust - don't know, but Airbus do consider the passenger comfort, so probably auto-thrust is programmed to be "gentle" while staying within flight limits. This might also be why some pilots think auto-thrust "overreacts", since on a gusty approach, it has to nail the groundspeed mini and cannot be gentle for that phase. So to those pilots, perhaps it suddenly seems a bit manic?

The older A330s I flew had 'lazy' auto-thrust in the lower levels, and I used phase advance (no longer approved) on a couple of occasions to keep the speed above Vapp-5

@Tower Dog. I agree. Years ago while still training, I once blagged a flight in a 757 FFS, having flown nothing larger or more complicated than a Seneca at that time. I was able to take off, fly a circuit and land, (fully manual everything), reasonably OK

Last edited by Uplinker; 5th Sep 2020 at 09:51.