PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC One-Eleven crash on test flight. Deep Stall
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 11:31
Bagheera S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Back during my college days, we had a professor who talked about this BAC 111 deep stall crash (I'm guessing it was an Aero Stability and Control class but it's been ~45 years).
Anyway, after describing the crash deep stall characteristics that caused it, he stated there had been another flight test crash of a T-tail designed aircraft where they were simulating an electrical power failure that disabled the stick-pusher and inadvertently got into a deep stall. He even elaborated that they tried various tricks (that had been brainstormed after the subject crash) in an effort to get out of the deep stall, but to no avail. But looking on the internet - while I can find other deep stall crashes of T-tail aircraft - I can't find one that fits his description of happening during flight testing.
Anyone know what he may have been talking about?
HP Victor XL159 lost to deep stall from an intentionally unusual stall entry configuration while with the A&AEE, on the 23 March 62. I’m unsure as to the specific condition being tested but they certainly tried quite a few ideas in an attempt to get it out of the stall. Crew abandoned aircraft, 3 survived, 2 died.

Last edited by Bagheera S; 3rd Sep 2020 at 12:42.