PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Death of British Aviation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 06:49
BallastBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha ha, I was hoping to give up on this thread but you’ve reeled me back in :-) It’s economics; it doesn’t matter the demographic of business class (whether they are business people or not), what matters is how many people are going to travel, how often and how much they will pay for a ticket (the profitability of that ticket). If, as some here have speculated, there will be, after a readjustment, plenty of seats at low prices then this will be great for the consuming public of any ‘class’, business or otherwise - cheap upgrades all round - gets my vote! BUT, if the readjustment doesn’t scale back operating costs sufficiently (mainly jobs and wages sadly) those tickets will have to be sold in exponential volumes. Every passenger will be crucial, every trip will be crucial. I’m just saying that there will be fewer business passengers making fewer trips. The ‘real’ business passenger may only make up a small proportion of business ‘class’ but they do two things; travel more often and personally care less about the ticket cost - it’s what makes them so profitable as individual passengers. Whether the shortfall is made up by higher volume and frequency elsewhere remains to be seen.