PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing Hitler in real life
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 09:23
rog747

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
rog747

I have not done as many of the historical Third Reich sites and museums as you but have been to the rally grounds in Nürnberg, and boy did it feel very strange standing where Hitler did and look out over the field. I can't describe the feeling, it just didn't seem right. I also went, on the same trip to the Dokucentrum in Nürnberg, and on a later holiday to the Berchtesgaden "Eagles Nest". If you can speak German and read some of the documents in these museums they provide a real insight into the "other side". Generally speaking we in the UK are fed, for good reasons, a very UK centric view of the war.

Your trip sounds really interesting from a historical perspective, and it is something that I would be very interested to do. History has two sides, and wherever possible it's good to learn about them.

I was very impressed to see at many of the places we went to that new exhibition halls and more Documentation Centres have been opened and/or being upgraded - In both German and English.
The sight of many young German students and study groups with their teachers was very evident - At last Germany seems to be passing down its darker history to be told in a constructive way to its young.
We must remember that many of these sites are deemed ''Toxic'' and frankly the German's did not know what to do with them for the past 50 years or so.
I am glad that they have not been bulldozer ed into oblivion but are now able to be seen by all and described there what happened.

Our guide Roger Moorhouse was fascinating. I learn't so much.
This was my tour -
https://www.historicaltrips.co.uk/to...l.html?site=UK

For 2021
https://www.theculturalexperience.co...16157da59176eb

I may do their 2022 Burma Tour (my trip this year was cancelled)