PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia mental health/insurance issues
Old 1st Sep 2020, 00:45
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly Slater
Does Virgin's loss of licence insurance cover against mental health issues, I have seen other Airline policies that specifically exclude such issues. For those still flying, it might be worth your while to check just what is covered.
This is an extremely good point.

When I was shopping for life insurance and income protection insurance a while back, I found various companies would not cover you if you committed any kind of aviation beyond travelling as a passenger on an RPT carrier. Want to take a hot air balloon flight over the Hunter Valley? Nope, not covered if you die or are injured to the point you can no longer work. Want to learn to fly? Not a chance, but you 'might be covered by the flying schools insurance'...One idiot mob's PDS (BT Insurance through St George I think it was) had you sign a declaration to the effect of "I do not perform any activities described in the 'list of prohibited activities'. When I called to ask about this 'list' I was told it was 'commercial in confidence' and you could only tell them what you do and they will tell you if it is on 'the list'. Apparently flying in a plane you built in your back shed is most definitely on the list....

For those of you who hold such policies, it might pay to double check the PDS and the fine print, just in case...