PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2020, 20:06
GBYAJ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???

The signs have been there for years, last base to lose the 737, reduction in based units, a base of sunshine and domestic routes, but city destinations run for a couple of years and get dropped - basically the small customer base for these destinations has been their, and so time to move on...

What's the difference - look at the income levels of the respective catchment areas.
while I agree to a certain extent I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. There is money up here just not as much!

at NCL in the early days high frequency domestic routes (STN, BRS and BFS) worked well with the favourite Med destinations. Start cutting back the domestic and letting Jet2 (and thomsonfly I think with the 737-300) beat them on the Med routes and it all went pear shaped.

I remember flying to Prague with EZY from
NCL and was surprised how full the plane was and how many business travellers there were. On the other hand went to BUD and it was only half full wit xmas market shoppers. So based on this extensive research I think without being an expert there are routes that will work from ncl and those that won’t. I think they tried too many that wouldn’t. Used to fly to all three domestics and every flight was full. I Think ezy moved from being low cost which NCL punters originally embraced and then the airport and
customers didn’t fit with it.