PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing Hitler in real life
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2020, 15:11
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Hokulea I think it's fine to post here. Not least, other topics are quiet at the moment! My father was also Nav/Rad operator in Mosquitos and Beaufighters.

In my work with bereaved people across the last 29 years, I have spoken to countless numbers of British and European people about the war. I have met those who were on the Kindertransport, those whose families saw the writing on the wall and got out early. I have met those whose families did not get out early. I have heard the story of a women who survived the war in Vienna by continually moving her hiding place. I met a Jewish man who was in Berlin on Krystallnacht but one of the most memorable was a story of a two Jewish teenagers who escaped from Austria, through the mountains to Switzerland.

May I suggest that you ask her about the escape? That will prove interesting and memorable. In the process, when and where she saw the parade will probably emerge - including it's place in her memories.

My father wrote a memoir in his retirement that was intended for his children and grandchildren and those of his pilot. By good fortune, it was also published. My father had spoken little of the war, there were photgraphs on the walls and we attended memorials and fund raising events. He said, "When I started to write, it just poured out of me." He would now be 96 years old. There were many things I did not ask him but his memoir gave us many answers.

I also agree that a grandchild may be spoken to more easily than a child. I have heard this reported numerous times.