PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2020, 14:54
Bare Plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was maintenance manager for AirServ in Maputo, Mozambique in the late 80‘s. Computers were becoming trendy and we had one with a simple program for our aircraft parts inventory and with a few inspection programs loaded. An early PC and kinda slow but it worked. That is, when there was city power at the airport. We were used to the power outages and had a small Honda Generator hooked up to our hangar electrical system. When the city power went out our local guy knew to run out and start up the Honda. We had a switch to isolate our hangar electrical system. So the Honda was running and I was on the PC but it was especially slow and the office lights seemed to be kinda dim. I went outside to see what was up and our Guy was sitting at the generator with an extension cord and about six electric tea pots hooked up for tea time. He was making a little spare change from his airport friends. I informed him that he could not have more than two tea pots hooked up at one time. He was happy. I think it gave him a sense of power over his friends. I had the impression that they thought our Honda could power the whole city.