PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford - End of Flying Legends airshows
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 16:47
GeeRam

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Nice to see that you are keeping politics out of the thread !!!! Amazing so many people voted for the 'current' Gov, and they secured so many seats must be all of the same 'ILK' as you would say. However I will make a point of speaking to a Minister re the IWM position and try to get some sense into the arena, you may think it is small fry, but Duxford is a very high profile operation and attracts many overseas visitors therefore decisions taken that affect its ability to obtain best value for the UK and the 'product' it could support is very much of Gov interest, and when the CV issue is past we will still be in the UK tourist, and Museum business for which we have a good reputation.. It strikes me that the Legends has become a major attraction therefore every effort should be made to 'ENABLE' its future at its current base. It would be a major Own Goal for Duxford to loose it. They need to get the bean counters a pair of overalls and give them some 'Hangar Jobs' so they see how lucky they are to have such a rich variety of Living History on site. The whole thing beggars belief and needs some heads knocking.
I think you're missing the point entirely....or not grasping what has happened here.
Small fry, or niche audience in their words is what IWM referred to us as, not me.

IWM in their view, are doing exactly what you are talking about doing, and looking to increase visitors and footfall, and increase monies into their pot, as per their statement regarding Legends ending at Duxford.
The point is they clearly don't see Legends as providing that, being such a niche audience in their words, and wanted a bigger slice of the pie from TFC to keep it going, but knowing that TFC probably wouldn't on those terms, thereby giving them that airshow slot back in their own calander to do with as they see fit to do what you are suggesting.