PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 28th Aug 2020, 15:20
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Transition Layer
I’d like to see ScoMo stop Federal funding of infrastructure projects in states like WA and QLD. McGowan and Palazchook will then have fo create their own jobs with closed up economies and the end of JobKeeper. Should last about a fortnight before we have normal programming resume.
That's not going to happen. Morrison backed Palmer's legal challenge up until the point he got slammed for it in WA and then changed his position. You think voters in WA or Qld will support him if he threatens to cut off infrastructure spending? Too many marginal electorates in those states he can't afford to lose.

Now this matter does affect our livelihoods, but the border restrictions for people in states where they are strict are insanely popular, for workers outside of industries that rely on cross border movement. I spoken to many people outside of aviation recently (the majority of the public), and whilst they are quite sympathetic to those who are not working at the moment they are also quite supportive of restrictions, regardless of political leaning. The NT Government was just returned to power despite quarantine restrictions from the two largest cities that have adversely affected their large tourism industry. No government would go against such strong feeling on a major issue.

I think the ending of border restrictions will be more down to the ending of widespread community transmission in other states, and less sensationalist reporting of this issue in the media.

Then once state borders open and the public sees that the world isn’t ending, international borders will follow 3-6 months after.
I'm not so sure, whilst I think numbers will come back after a period of time, don't forget passengers numbers dropped off when people got scared of the virus, before states closed borders. Opening borders will help with return to normal but the main return will come when the public is satisfied the risks have decreased.

Closing up shop and waiting for a vaccine is a stupid idea that will end in heartbreak and many millions out of work.
Yes. But there is still a pandemic underway. It does have to be dealt with and the public satisfied it has been dealt with before an environment friendly to normal levels of travel return.