PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2020, 13:41
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfectly reasonable question.
Virgin has been talking about running Pakistan flights since 2007, but hasn't done so, in spite of a growing year round demand for such flights from the UK. So, ignoring a growth market.
BA only resumed flights to Pakistan at the end of 2018 having earlier binned them for security concerns. Still Virgin didn't enter the market.
Virgin are naturally desperate to operate and start rebuilding from the effects of covid19. So they choose now to start a route to a country where the UK government still advises against non essential travel.
PIA is currently on a ban and using HiFly to fill in. Well, that is a reasonable opportunistic reason to start.
Whilst I am sure a risk assessment has been done, having crew on the ground in Pakistan carries more risk than it does for, say New York, even allowing for 'secure zone' hotac. Why would you send your aircraft and crew to a destination that needed secure accommodation unless you had to? Or have had to take a different view of the assessment for commercial reasons?
I am not on the BoD of Virgin, but I can join dots.
Do you have evidence to the contrary?