PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2020, 18:57
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness. You are a strong supporter of the case for Lhr and I respect that. I would like to add a few points. In every person are prejudices and that includes both of us. Those prejudices, whether we like to believe it or not, affects our decision making. One of those instincts/behavior is herd mentality, others are doing it, we better do it as well. If you believe that the top deciders in airlines are immune from this, think again. At the end of the day, most airlines offer very similar services, they largely copy each other.

You mention Adam Thomson, how long ago is that going back? Maybe 40 years say? Think of the way the world has changed in that time, massive changes, yet one thing that has hardly moved in that time is the dominance of Lhr over Lgw. Why is that? How big a part does airline alliances play in that? Or loyalty programmes? Or big corporate travel firms/deals? The elevation of Lhr over Lgw under BAA ownership? Those higher yields out of Lhr, higher fares for us? The list goes on. And it is in the interest of all concerned to keep it that way. And if you can keep moving airlines into Lhr for that extra yield you in turn deny Lgw the opportunity to ever be successful at establishing a good long-haul network or building yield. Of ever establishing good transfer opportunities as they are only ever dealing with a disparate group of airlines.

You mention why Easy and Wizz have not moved in on Lhr. It might be a case of not yet. There could be any number of reasons why, doesn't mean it would never happen. However, I'm not that sure Lhr wants a Wizz in their midst.