PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 27th Aug 2020, 01:10
Cilla1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career Change at age 40.

Hello,

I am after some advice and general guidance please, mainly on if my plan seems achievable:

I am 31 years old and I am currently in the Royal Navy (not aircrew). I have 8.5 years left to serve and I am interested in a career in aviation.

I am looking to begin training via a modular route. I am on the waiting list (awaiting the fallout from COVID) at a flying school to begin my PPL(A) followed by IR(R).

I plan to try and hour build in the local area over the next 6/7 years, but also while deployed abroad to keep it interesting and experience new scenery/views. Then around 2027/2028 start to undertake ATPL theory, Commercial Pilot Training, MEP, CB/IR, UPRT and MCC, leading to a fATPL by the time I leave the Armed Forces in 2029.

I plan on self funding throughout and I have the means to do this. I am settled in a good house with my wife and two kids. We have no current debt other than a mortgage and my wife is on a good salary as a scientist.

The advice I am seeking is... First of all, is this a realistic and sensible plan?
I believe so myself, however all the research I have done is so confusing and conflicting. I want to ensure I have not missed anything out and that I am taking the best/most cost effective route.

Next - Am I being realistic in thinking I would stand a chance at a career with an airline at the age of 40? I am hoping that my 22 years military career will be of some benefit in an interview perhaps (life experience, disciplined etc)? But age seems a real issue from what I have read, with airlines prefering 20/21 yr olds. I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who has entered the pipeline at an older age to detail any challenges/hurdles they have faced.

The biggest issue I am having and the dilemma I question every day is this... Am I wasting my time dreaming of this career and it really isn't achievable for someone my age.

I realise I am in a good position with a full military pension in my back pocket at age 40, so therefore the risk I suppose is a lot lower than some. But I always like to know what I am getting myself in to...

Any advice greatly appreciated, further expansion on any of the commercial courses also appreciated, in particular the CB/IR (very confused by this).

Also apologies if the questions I have asked have already cropped up. I have found similar but nothing substantial that has answered my questions.

Thanks