PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2020, 06:24
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appears to be a lack of attention to detail on here. Again it appears my post has been misconstrued.

FFHKW: Wizzair cannot operate from SOU currently as the runway is too short. As I stated, my predictions that they possibly could be one of the operators to operate in the future would be conditional on the works were completed. I understand a lot of the eastern european community use Wizzair from Luton, and constantly request that they operate from SOU. Off the top of my head SOU is 1/8th polish, its a big market.

Southside Booby: It is a terrible aircraft by 2020 standards, and nearly bankrupted its manufacturer. You can only push a design so far, and Boeing shot themselves in the foot not going with a new design. Apart from the 787, their planes are ancient designs. I think there are a number of parts that have changed very little since its original iteration from the 60s. I believe the breaks for a start are very poor so no chance of it being a success at SOU. Is it a surprise that an unsophisticated aircraft works for the unsophisticated business that FR/LS target? They want cheap workhorses rather than versatile modern aircraft.

Gurnard: Yes nothing is set in stone, but I think it will not be as bad as everyone thinks. Most people have returned to normality by now, and by this time next year I bet few would think twice about going abroad for their holiday. The extension certainly would not be a white elephant, in fact it is key to securing SOUs future. Both the ATR and q400 are planned to be stretched in the future as the industry is moving away from regional aircraft. Even Embrear are considering a new turboprop but only in a larger size than currently exists. The pool of aircraft in the sub 80 seat market will diminish leaving SOU out in the cold. There is also the fact that aircraft like the 50 seat ERJ already cannot operate fully from SOU as things stand.

BHX5DME: I agree that there is no chance currently. In a few years time who knows. BHX also already has sizable bases from FR, LS and BY lets not forget. Its a complete different opportunity at SOU with no competition and potentially a more wealthy catchment.