PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2020, 16:09
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crew workload in manual flying

Hello,

I started flying on the line this february, after having done the multi crew training in october of last year, on the bus.
To this date, I still haven't fully understood airbus' philosophy regarding manual flying.

I heard, at some point during the mcc, that the industry had kind of changed its mind about automation : aware that manual flying skills erode, airbus and airlines reckoned that pilots need to train regularly in real conditions, not just twice a year in the sim.
But then, when it comes to practise, it seems to me that nothing is done to promote the practise of manual flying.

Pilots usually ask each other "are you available ?" before turning AP off, because it is commonly agreed that if the PF flies manual, it will increase the PM workload.
But does it really have to ? In theory, if the sole difference was that the PF is hand flying, instead of flying through the FCU, and if he's a decent pilot, then the PM would have strictly no increase in workload : he's monitoring the same result, a trajectory that's correctly flown.
But, there is an increase in crew workload for the PM because the PM has to select FCU targets, after having been ordered to do so by the PF.
- The first increase in crew workload is the manual flying for the PF, and it is the only one that is really necessary (it is also the only one desired since it's training) but there are others :
- The PM now has to manipulate the FCU. This is a slight increase in workload and I found that it works very well in the sim and also in the air
- But there can be some problems when ATC comes into play. There is constant chatter to listen to, so it can slow down communication. You hear your company name every 5 seconds, you stop for 1 second to ensure it's not you. If it's you, then the PM will have to answer and this is now several seconds during which the PF capacity to modify the FCU is severely impaired, since he's forbidden from doing it himself.
I found on many occasions that it would have been much much easier to just rotate myself the FCU, than having to wait several seconds that the conversation was over.

Since manual flying is mostly interesting while in the departure and approach phases, in a real environment, there will be much chatter, so this problem can happen quite often in the aircraft.
Yes, in many cases it will be completely manageable, but I still find that this is an increase in crew workload, sometimes significant.

It seems to me that forbidding the PF to set his FCU himself is actually adding workload. Especially on an Airbus that a very stable flight control laws, it would be completely manageable to take one second to turn a button, then annouce it (just like under AP)
The PF could also ask the PM if he finds the situation is appropriate. Just like the lights when entering/exiting a runway, in my airline.

To sum up, it looks like forbidding the PF from setting his own FCU at all times does not help, it sometimes increases workload a little, sometimes a lot, and this problem could be solved very easily.
So, why is it like this then ?
How is it managed on the boeing side : can the PF modify the FCU himself while in manual flying ?

Thank you