PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 14th Aug 2020, 20:26
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Very interesting. ...................... This is not the time to play Fantasy Fleets, but it is a time to look more widely at the direction the Government wants to move in and realise that the Armed Forces are likely to face very substantial changes soon.
Totally agree with your opening and closing statements Asturias56. IMVHO, for some time, the whole concept of the popularist definition of "defence" has needed something of a rethink, an idea immortalized a few years back now in the opening title scenes for "Have I Got News For You" showing the gas pipeline between Russia and Europe being turned off. That struck a real chord with me in that I have long seen threats to societies as widening far beyond the previous "Cold War"-style model I was used to and, to a greater extent, was relatively comfortable with.

Indeed, subsequent "skirmishes" such as Iraq, Syria, Kosovo and so on - (all of which have had utterly devastating consequences for those intimately involved) indicated a huge shift. 9/11 was another pivotal moment (not to mention totally messing up my career change plans at that time - flew my first IR thinking I was missing a movie - till the CAA Examiner explained and asked if I still wished to fly the Test - bit of a waste that was in hindsight!). Huawei is another example - rightly or wrongly - I just don't have the facts to make a clear decision. Just maybe this is a real "review of the meaning of National Defence" which, while probably devastating for the Armed Forces, is maybe what is needed for society.

Yes, based on that, you are correct in assuming that my penchant for some "alternative views" were noted (subtly adversely!) in my Mil Staff Reports - most 1st, 2nd and 3rd RO's considering they had "survived" having had me on their Staff if they themselves had not been called aside by their superiors to explain what this "hand grenade" was that they had working under them! Off the record, many agreed with me but, officially, I was viewed as a bit of a renegade! Ho hum!

Cheers, H 'n' H (called such for, as many would say, very good reason!!!)