PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Should Not Be Negotiable - Avweb (USA)
Old 14th Aug 2020, 12:42
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
A good “Motherhood” article but it misses the point.

In order for inspectors to do an excellent job they need a good set of standards to compare the product against and management who will back them up.

By “good set of standards” I don’t mean rolled gold specifications and minute detailed specification - unless it’s needed. The overriding criteria in quality management is called “fitness for purpose” that relates back to sound risk management criteria. There is no point for example in making a “chemically machined from solid forging laser welded” part when a sheet of folded 0.32 6061 - T6 will do just as well. What is needed are simple straightforward standards. If you have the time, look at a DC9 cockpit opening window versus the equivalent B737 assembly. Here’s a hint the DC9 one is an engineering marvel of sophistication. The Boeing assembly is a bunch of crappy sheet metal. Guess which company went broke?

I would argue in Australia (begging the question that does anyone care what we do) we shoot ourselves in the foot by using the words “appropriate”, “acceptable”, “sufficient” when we shouldn’t, thus leaving room for undue influence at best and corruption at worst. Furthermore the poor designer and builder has to second guess the inspector as to what “acceptable” means under the current star sign. It is all those little latitudes that leave room for a Boeing to twist people’s arms.

‘’Anyway, I’m just a know nothing old fart, set in my ways.