PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 03:04
C310driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
One for the HF people.At what point in the human thought process does logic, training, experience and sound judgement get trumped by presonitis and wishful thinking? In both of the recent accidents professional pilots shake their head at why an approach was continued but I have no doubt that the PIC of both aircraft would have been also shaking their heads in disbelief if they were reviewing the sequence of events.
This is a great question, thank you!

I would guess when the loss of situational awareness, target fixation and/or overconfidence sets it, they create for a very slippery situation in the cockpit. Add to that a steep cockpit gradient, an FO who is unwilling to speak up to a very senior Captain and the situation can go from a boring flight to a very very sudden life or death situation.

I have flown with some captains who’s SA was so bad, that they had no idea what they were bringing upon themselves had I not been assertive (think 4 whites on short final and not self-correcting). Then again, nobody is perfect, but that’s the reason there’s another pilot upfront, to prevent one guy from killing everybody else on the aeroplane, due to losing situational awareness & overconfidence.

What do the other senior pilots/captains think?