PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC: Pilot Shortage ‘flipped around’
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2020, 12:05
Easyheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is from luftfart.nu googletranslated from Danish to English, and just the first 2/3 of the article:

Originally Posted by Easyheat
The Corona pandemic has left aviation in ruins, and thousands of pilots have been released or bankrupt. After more than 30 years in the air, I do not remember it ever being worse.

The situation has led many pilots to consider what skills a life in aviation has given them. At the country's job centers, bus driving licenses and truck certificates are in full swing. But is that really the only thing the pilots can do? Transporting people and freight from A to B?

Here are some thoughts from me on what I have experienced. My list is not comprehensive enough at all, but then I can make a post more another day.

What can they do then, those pilots?

Demonstrate leadership and collaboration with a wide range of human types.
Analyze complicated contexts - both technical and social.
Prioritize and make decisions in a saturated information environment.
Speak in public, teach and share knowledge.
Demonstrate calm, discipline and flexibility.
An airplane is a small community at 10 kilometers altitude, and the captain is the city mayor. The mate is the deputy mayor. The safe settlement of the flight is a complex teamwork between many people. Although I'm focusing on the pilots here, it takes a lot of people's effort before a plane takes off. They will all be an asset for Danish companies. The whole thing is probably one of the most complex logistical operations carried out on a commercial basis. Getting into all of them here is simply getting too extensive.Being a pilot is more of a management responsibility than anything else. One has to work with a very wide range of personalities. You are in charge of the newly hatched student who has his first job after a life on the school bench and who is suddenly in a demanding industry (and no, the cabin crew is not employed to serve coffee and tea). It takes care and understanding to accommodate the many who are new to jobs. You also have to work with experienced veterans who have spent most of their adult lives in the air - and this makes other demands. There must be collaboration across languages ​​and cultures, as the aviation industry is an international environment - and most have worked abroad for periods. You do not get a long career in the air without a certain amount of social intelligence.
An aircraft is an advanced machine, and its operation is governed by technical insight, established operating procedures (Standard Operating Procedures), complicated rules and a very large flow of information. When you have to act with many different people at the same time, it requires skills in maintaining an overview - separating "dirt from cinnamon" and prioritizing the next action. This is the pilot's everyday life.!
I believe the writer is correct in everything. But I still ask myself, where are all the Hard Skills, that would make me as an employer, employ this guy in a ground job, who has all these soft skills? Hence my remark, that there is IMHO no future in aviation. Comments more than welcome.