PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soldiers, Sailors and ...?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2020, 08:47
Union Jack

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
I’ve thought long and hard about this and if we want to be inclusive of our collective work forces then neither Soldier, Sailor or Aviator is appropriate. Why?

Soldier - implies that everyone in the British Army is intimately involved with closing and killing their enemy on the ground - they aren’t.

Sailor - implies that everyone in the Royal Navy has an at sea role - they don’t. Also, what about the Royal Marines? Sailors? I think not!

Aviator - implies that everyone in the Royal Air Force operates an aircraft delivering Air Power - they don’t.

It is pure elitism if we use these 3x nouns that just does not encompass the 3 Services’ Whole Force and the Chiefs need to all get their heads around the job diversity of their people. I would offer that “Members of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces” is a far more inclusive term if we really want to get it right without missing out large chunks of the individual Services’ people.
An interesting rundown although, to apply some perspective, virtually every person joining the Royal Navy, and Royal Marines, is liable for sea service.

So far as the use of "Aviators" is concerned, perhaps a perfectly gender-neutral alternative expression would be "Oakleys"......

Jack