PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Sea Fury T.20 WG655 (G-INVN) down near Duxford
Old 7th Aug 2020, 13:01
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 291 Likes on 159 Posts
Couple of images below courtesy of a member of another forum showing the damage when WG655 force landed in a field near Castle Carey in 1990 - much worse! The landing was in a very suitable field, unfortunately a cross slope led to a slide inexorably into the only two trees for miles. The back seater did suffer some quite serious injuries.

If I recall correctly, John Beattie's decision to abandon TF956 over the sea at Prestwick was due to one leg been stuck down and the other up - a landing in that configuration is a no no due to the type's propensity for going over on to its back - I can think of two, possibly three fatal Sea Fury accidents where the aircraft has turned over in a landing accident.

Finally, I gather that the back seater in WG655 on Tuesday was a fairly well-known PPRuNer who has suffered a bit of a bruised back - hope both guys are fully recovered quickly and none the worse for the experience!