PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 01:47
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape Path

Absolutely the problem goes higher, as EDLB puts it: “A fish starts stinking from the head” but you can cut to the chase by looking at the company’s safety management system directors and their direct reports when looking for who had control of the culture. For example if there’s a record of discussion as to how a flight data audit program might be designed, managed and who has oversight of it.

As the preamble on all crash comics always state, it’s not as important at least initially, to state who dropped the ball as It is to find how it was dropped. I have no doubt that Personal/ corporate liability tends to ultimately become self evident after that.

My outfit runs a pretty tight SMS involving a high level data oversight program and a closed loop incident oversight process with regular LOS audits (line observation safety audits) with very well trained staff for these purposes. We learned from previous incidents and it’s served us well.

I’m doubtful the PIA culture or regulatory oversight for that matter could be sufficiently remediated to be honest but looking at their full safety management system would be one of the most productive lines of inquiry from a root cause analysis perspective.