PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2020, 08:02
FMS82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickler
Yes I do look down o a "menial" job because I have spent my life working my @rse off to make it up being a captain examiner in one of the most important airlines in the world and yes I do consider myself at a higher social level.
Wow. Deriving your "social level" or your sense of self worth from a job? And the importance of airlines, especially the transport of passengers, can be debated, as this crisis has shown us all.

Back on the topic: There is some great advice and creative options being thrown around here by those willing to open their minds. I'm currently in offshore wind, and HSE is a huge topic. I always think a pilot with a keen understanding of CRM would make a great addition to any HSE department. Yes, would require some additional training, but much of that is available online. With a healthy attitude to picking up some hands-on jobs to build experience, one could relatively quickly develop into an HSE consultant or client rep. The guys / girls we employ in those roles make decent money, travel to interesting places and seem to have a good work/life balance.

Furthermore, I think people are generally freaked out about trying new things, but pilots especially as they have always done the same trick. Maybe at different employers, but fundamentally the same job. Many of my peers and myself had much more variety in their careers. So should get laid off, we have been trained to have an agile mindset to doing new stuff. I myself went from Aerospace Engineering into R&D, then a brief stint in Manufacturing - spent some time in operations, moved to sales, and recently jumped back into project management. Fundamentally different roles in different companies, that just came onto my path and I figured I give them a try.