PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:45
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by guy_incognito
As I've previously suggested, pilot salaries were ripe for a "refresh" and this situation has provided airline management with the ideal excuse to take the axe to Ts&Cs. From an accountant's point of view, it is easy to see why £100k+ salaries are unjustifiable for a role which has an extremely low (academic) bar to entry, has massive oversupply and is highly aspirational. The "new normal" will be captains on train driver salaries (without any of the associated benefits) and first officers either paying to be there or on minimum wage, zero hours contracts. It's no good stomping our feet and pretending that it isn't the case. The salaries we enjoyed three months ago will be comfortably the highest the vast majority of us will ever earn in our careers.
Can I say.. after I got out of flying ( after 36 years and 22000 hours).. I am now a train driver. I love the conditions ( that include 9 weeks annual leave).. sure the money is not the same as I earned as a 777 Captain.. but I am so much happier. No jet lag.. lovely place to work, home at night. Wish I had done it 10 years ago.