PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - multiple-instructor system or single instructor system some consideration
Old 4th Aug 2020, 08:59
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember being taught PFLs aged 17 at Carlisle and this ‘1000ft’ area on base. I found it very hard to just pin point just where it actually was.

It wasn’t until I was taught high glide circuits at 1500’ QFE that the penny dropped. Select idle power abeam the threshold (start of the field) and use sight line method to determine the angle of bank in the turn. The 1000ft point then naturally occurs. Then start from 2000ft at the upwind end followed by 2500’ crosswind.

The only difference between my PPL (CSE Aviation) and FIC course was aim 1/3 of the way into the field and use flap to bring the touchdown point towards you.
My FIC course at Southampton with ex Hamble instructors was aim 1/2 way into the field.
Presumably Cumbrian fields are longer than down south....😎

What was interesting is that the FIC teaching was identical to my PPL course (apart from the PFL aiming point). Probably due to ex A2s from CFS influencing the teaching.

Same was true joining as a junior (self improver CAP54) on the flying staff at BAeFC, PIK.
The Standards work up very much déjà vu.

Last edited by parkfell; 4th Aug 2020 at 09:10.