PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne stage 4 lockdown and GA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 16:58
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
I am not a lawyer, but......
Clearly.

The recreational light aircraft/bush flyers types went through this discussion when the issue of lockdowns/restrictions vs the "but *my* recreational activity is different" brigade was discussed there too. I think that particular crusade now only ends one way, the only variation in outcomes is whether you get the thousand+ dollar fine, or the thousand+ dollar fine and your photo in the news alongside your aircraft as you get arrested so all your neighbours recognise you as someone who thinks their hobby is more important than the law. Plus, if any of your neighbours don't like aircraft noise or feel like dobbing you in because they maybe dont like you, or what they see as an expensive luxury hobby, guess what will happen?

The mods were obviously busy deleting posts in the last thread before it was closed, so as to avoid the risk of being seen as political I'll just say this. Even though the death rate may be seen as low, and biased towards the elderly, younger people die too and there are a lot of long term health effects among the survivors, which would prevent many of them from holding a Class 1 or 2 medical. So having a lockdown that prevents a bunch of pilots from working or flying recreationally in the short term might also be allowing them to go back to work with their medicals at the end of it, rather than losing their medicals, among other non-fatal but serious consequences.