PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One down in PNG today - C402C, VH-TSI
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 06:55
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SCPL_1988

The plane crashed on take off – it made it high enough to be picked up on radar but then went down. The most likely cause, according to assembled pilots, was a dramatic load shift, a single engine failure or simply overloaded? It appears there was a small fire in the port engine when she went down.
Not sure the flight time for full fuel reflects the C402 C, that could be the C404? Then again fuel burn at low altitude would make the C404 a maybe for the return trip.

So the C402 got airborne, to be picked up on radar. Then had a issue! and stops not very far from the end of the airstrip.
This with lots of fuel and + 500kg of freight,on a strip of about 900m.

Dramatic load shift- aft on after rotation. My guess a stall with different debris pattern.
Single engine failure after rotation. My guess much further to the left of centre line - and far deeper into the woods (possible feathered prop)
Overloaded after airborne. My guess far deeper into the woods & more pruned trees.

I guess I am saying given required fuel, 500+kg freight and short unpaved strip, I do not think it is possible for a C402 to get airborne and be mostly intact so close to the end of the runway.