PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Shares slip below HK8
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 05:17
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhh I've missed reading PPRUNE ;-) So entertaining - Jerry Springer meets Aviation

I feel like much of what is said is like the passengers on the titanic arguing about their relative chances of survival- "I am on the poop deck, so I will survive" - "I got a stool at the bar, so I will survive" - "I was the first to book so I will survive" etc etc

For anyone who wants to rely on COS to save you - please read the 49ers book. Or those in the 'first world" read how Joyce grounded QF in 2011 for no particular reason(he made up some). Or look at all the bases closed despite us still flying there. Anything can be justified - and good luck getting a 1st world country's court imposing its' will on a small part of communist china. Study our history - and remember that was when things were 'normal' not under global financial distress.

I can make a business case for closing bases - keeping bases open - shrinking bases - expanding bases. A case can be made for anything - getting rid of senior guys like me, or getting rid of junior pilots. Stop wasting times with theoretical what-ifs; just deal with what actually happens not what might happen.

Pilots hate, more than most people hate, the lack of control. What is clearly NOT in our control is covid/vaccine/things getting back to normal. What is in your control - how you choose to live your life between now and more 'certainty' being provided. Either you have a CX/KA job in a year's time or you don't. What if you had 18months left to live? Would you spend your time worrying/complaining about what is happening.

All I know for sure is I will get 3 months pay if I am terminated. In my time here - things were incredibly uncertain/scary in end of 1992/early 1993 commitment days, 1994(new contract), 1999 sign or be fired, 2001 49ers, 2001 9-11, 2008-09 GFC/Swine flu, 2017 HPE, 2020- covid19.

One thing I know for sure - I was happy before cathay, happy at cathay and I will be happy after cathay. Yes I would like to get some more $$$ given some poor life choices - but whatever. Life is too short to make money, job or title responsible for my happiness.

Enjoy the free time while it lasts- or not - that is up to you.