PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC: Pilot Shortage ‘flipped around’
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 18:17
ChrisVJ

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a thought about young people not going into training because of a perceived lack of aviation in the future.

In one respect I think most pilots are a bit like teachers or doctors. For sure I met a couple of teachers who joined up because of the hours and the pension but 90% or more became teachers because they wanted to teach, help kids, believed an educated world would be a better world. I have three kids in aviation and none of them joined because of the the money, the business or the pension. They all joined because they wanted to fly and I'll bet 90% of the pilots out there were the same. It may be more difficult but those kids are always out there.

If I was choosing a career just now I would want to be a pilot. Two or three years training and, hopefully, four or five years getting some experience. With luck I would be situated just right when the so called shortage comes round.

Almost all professions include political risk. For sure we will always need doctors and undertakers but for them the risk is malpractice suits and changes in government policy that can make their life a misery. These are hard times for a lot of people, not just pilots, and training schools may have a slow down but as long as kids can look up and see an aircraft there will always be some who 'have' to fly.