PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC: Pilot Shortage ‘flipped around’
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 03:46
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finestkind
Gents thank you for your comments. For those of you that make disparaging remarks about the poster, well you can understand why the Captain’s authority is no longer what it was with that level of maturity.

Chookcooker. At least your comment was about the post. I will still disagree that a Captain today has the same authority to make the decisions that Captain’s made in the 50’s/60’s/70’s. For those of you that take affront to having your four bars questioned or your pursuit of those four bars take note I am talking about decision making and not responsibility. Try exercising your Captain’s authority particularly if it flies in the face of your companies SOP’s and see how long your employment continues.

Ruprecht you certainly have made me see why my post was so far off mark.

Wheelsdown see above response to chook.

George Glass. Let me pontificate on my post, which was a post in agreeing with a couple of points made by two other posters ( I know really, pontificating on other pontificator’s, realllly) and a few of my thoughts. Not to certain where I stated anything about rights and privileges of pilots but I agree it is about keeping Airlines alive. At this time pilots are required for that to happen but given the number of threads and post about the treatment from pay to sick leave to training cost to contractual obligation for training etc., etc., I do not think the Airlines are too concerned about pilot’s but more about profit. Your lamington, sorry lamentations on training, checks and currency requirements are true but a) support the statement of all those qual’s only being good if you have a job (unlike the ability to find work a lot easier with other trade/professional qual’s) b) support the point (prob poorly made) of all that work for a very specific line of work and, c) your contradictory last sentence. All this maintenance of standards that can be so easily eroded and so takes 31 years to get back to “pre-dispute standards”. Does this not align with the concern of having less experienced people up the front. “Each Pilot in a major Airline is trained under an approved matrix of simulator training” Are you indicating that every major airline has the same training requirements for employment.

If I could understand the point of your post I’d respond. But.........