PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adapters: GA to Heli or Heli to GA
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2020, 15:31
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell_ringer
Really?
Pretty much any single I've been in has U174 plugs and GA plugs for the stuck wings.
<Sigh> Sorry my language was not precise enough for you. Let me try again: where Lemo female receptacle style connectors are installed, typically alongside the more ubiquitous U174 (helicopter) female receptacle (I'm ignoring the GA case, but "GA" plugs and receptacles have their own proper part numbers, too), the pinning (or pin-outs, or wiring, whichever expression your prefer) of those connectors is now a de facto standard.

Lemo is also the manufacturer, not the name of the actual connector.
If you mean "not the part number" (just being precise ), yes that's quite correct, sort of. The connectors are actually made by a Lemo affiliate by the name of Redel. The connectors in question come out of this catalog. However, as you can see from that catalog, the part numbers for these connectors are quite complex. Thus it has been standard practice in the US aviation community to merely refer to these connectors as "Lemo", "Redel", or "Bose" connectors, as there are simply too many variants. The only folks who really care about the specific part numbers are stocking distributors, retailers or cable assembly houses who have to order directly from the OEM. Everyone else just buys, for example, a "Lemo female bulkhead connector" and they have to take whatever the distributor or retailer specifies with Redel, and the reseller in question will have made certain that the part is indeed one associated with the de facto aviation standard that has sprung up around this connector.

The part number variations are due to the many mechanical differences outside of the connector mating interface. One example of a fully specified part number would be here. However there are many other potential part number variations for an electrically equivalent male cable end plug that will mate with a receptacle from the same series.