PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarantine if you arrive from Spain from midnight 25/7/2020
Old 26th Jul 2020, 11:48
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsky
I think it is a knee jerk reaction but the Govt gets blamed for taking too long , then acting quickly. damned if you do, damned if you dont.
However according the worldmeter stats ( which I believe are reasonably accurate??) I think they show the date rate, globally at around 6%. which is one hell of a lot more than your stated .01%
and the UK death rates officially near to 15% so i think this less than 1% often stated needs to be revisited!!
Worldometer shows the fatality rate among known cases. The real number of cases, most of which mild or asymptomatic, is higher by orders of magnitude. At least this is what antibody testing tends to show. The vast majority of PCR tests are conducted among those who either have symptoms or are known to have been in contact with someone infected. God knows how many untested, undetected cases with mild or no symptoms are booting around as we speak.

Back on the original topic of travel quarantine - have we got a legal eagle here who can explain whether or not quarantine for arrivals from the islands is legally enforceable? Given that there's no FCO advice against non-essential travel to those marvellous places, on the grounds of what can a quarantine order be imposed?