PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is CASA doing with your personal information?
Old 26th Jul 2020, 00:08
Clinton McKenzie

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
I can’t think why CASA would want a photo. The ARN is the index data.
Because you can send someone to undergo your medical examination in your place, armed with your ARN. All that quoting an ARN proves is that the person quoting it knows that number.

As explained by CASA in the corro I quoted, CASR 67.170 says "(1) If a person submits to a relevant examination by a DAME or DAO, the DAME or DAO must ask the person to produce evidence of his or her identity before finishing the examination. (2) The evidence must include a photograph of the person. (3) However, subregulation (1) does not require the DAME or DAO to ask the person to produce the evidence if the DAME or DAO knows or reasonably believes the person is who the person claims to be."

You will see that the regulation quoted by CASA anticipates a concept that seems to me to have been lost to CASA Avmed: A thing called "trust" of and between doctors and their patients.

CASA has taken it upon itself to use photographs supplied for one purpose (ASIC applications) for another purpose (medical examination ID), and the basis for that decision seems to me to be that medical certificate applicants and DAMEs can't be trusted.

However, as you can see from my corro, you can ask CASA not to disclose your ASIC photo to DAMEs and it seems that CASA will restrict the use of the photo accordingly. Of course, others may not care less what CASA does with the photo. That's their decision.

Last edited by Clinton McKenzie; 26th Jul 2020 at 05:42.