PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR in ‘useful type’
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2020, 19:24
The Wawa Zone

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Bear
A bought two E55 Barons (ie the B55 airframe with the larger IO-520 engine as found on a B58) for my Company and we use these for initial CR training and IR. !
It's good to get Baron time in the book, and as you say it may be cheaper, but how to you find doing full asymmetric EFATOs re shock cooling your barrels and heads ?
Also do you teach timed instrument circling approaches ? Someone has to - people I checked out years ago often never heard of them and started doing all kinds of scary **** the second they got visual at the bottom of a otherwise good approach.

I disagree about Partenavia / Seminole / etc re "flog the live engine at (near) max power just to keep the aircraft flying straight and level... Where's the learning in that?" Simple - to get used to flying a normal aircraft on a dark scungey night with ice on the airframe and one of your favorite engines inoperative. Flying an aircraft with even a slight negative VSI for the first time despite everything you are doing is a psychological hurdle best got over in controlled circumstances than in the real deal. Still I suppose you can simulate the need for max performance flying in a Baron exercise by pulling the good one back a tad.