PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best sunglasses
Thread: Best sunglasses
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2020, 13:58
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Bunto
Most phones made since about 2012 have an integrated barometer...

But to me the problem seems to be that you don't have a definite list of requirements. You'll never manage to buy a satisfactory product if you just buy the one with the longest checklist of features.

Take your Garmin D2 watch; all those functions mean that it is not optimised for one single function. It doesn't have a thermally-stabilised quartz oscillator, for example, so it isn't accurate as a chronometer. Eventually I think you'll hit the limits of the compromised functions and become dissatisfied.

In general it's better to buy a single optimised product for each specific use-case and leave the all-in-ones on the shelf.
One year later, I figure out you were completely right.

My sunglasses just broke when I put them off and closed them.
I'm now considering to buy a new model, and I've been able to put down a definite list of requirements.
Any optician looks at me with goggly eyes when I list all 8 :

- Between 7 and 11% of transmittance, for optical comfort
- A curved mount, for the same reason
- A slightly adjustable mount, to increase the optical comfort and leave no place in the field of view unprotected
- Unpolarized glass, because it does not work very well in the 320 (doable, but not great, not great either with my tablet or phone)
- Correct width, just a bit larger than my head (that's for physical and audio comfort, with a headset such as the A20)
- Interior anti reflective coating, that's just mandatory, I do not want to have any visual parasite due to interior light reflections...
- Mineral glass or at least hardened plastic, since I want to keep high end sunglasses for a long time.
And
- Unmirrored glass, mount with a sober look (that's just looks so not definitive, but it still has to go with a pilot uniform, so nothing too fancy allowed..)

I looked into bigatmo, it seems pretty good, except the transmittance which they don't tell about.
Measuring the transmittance is very easy, just install an app like "light meter" on any smartphone, and divide the lighting value shown with the glasses on the sensor by the value shown without the glasses. Easy as pie, but it requires having the object in our hands.
And the critera "unmirrored" can be opposed to the critera 7-11% because the mirror can help reduce the transmittance..
It is not mineral glass but they claim it's extremely hard plastic, I think I have to give up a bit on my critera if I don't want to end up paying 600€ or more for "made to measure" glasses.

Any thoughts, since there are many users of bigatmo on this forum ? Thanks