PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK issued EASA licence after 31st Dec 2020
Old 25th Jul 2020, 10:06
Magpie32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK issued EASA licence after 31st Dec 2020

I have recently finshed my commercial training. My status is UK issued EASA CPL + ME/IR and EASA ATPL exams completed with UK CAA during 2019.

The guidance I am seeing is that come 1st Jan 2021 this will switch to UK licence and no longer be transferrable to another EASA state. I can however in the meantime convert to another EASA state and if need be convert back to UK for upto 2 years.

What I do not understand is how can EASA recognise my training and qualifications on 31/12/20 but not on 01/01/21? Surely if I completed all the training whilst UK was in EASA-land then I meet the EASA requirements for ever more.

What will actually happen after 2020 if for instance I get a job with a well known Irish carrier who insist on an IAA EASA licence to operate their EI reg a/c? Would EASA make me resit the ATPL exams and flight tests, even though I have already done them?? I know it is different if I was coming from Oz or HK and was required to jump through the hoops for the first time, but what is really silly is I would have already jumped through the hoops but because of politics, overnight, I am now no longer considered to be of the high standard of an EASA qualified pilot.

Another example - what happens to EASA pilots who go work for Qatar Airways and convert thier licence to Qatari but then at a later date decide to come back to Europe. Does EASA recognise this person had an EASA licence in the past and lets them convert back no questions? Or do you keep both licences at the same time?

I know the UK issued licence will be an ICAO one but does that have any clout when it comes to getting back to EASA?

Sorry if that I have made that really long winded but I just want to know what EASA will make former UK issued EASA licence holders do post 2020 to get an EASA licence back?

Cheers

Last edited by Magpie32; 25th Jul 2020 at 10:23.