PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye BA Jumbos
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2020, 18:38
pax britanica

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Mr Mac, the 1011 was a really nice aircraft i thought from all rspects as a passenger, i have read a lot of good comments from the flight deck too, not the first or last aircraft to be popular with all but the finance team. My daughter who has done a lot of miles and of course from a different era , her first trip -on a 1011 LHR-BDA was aged 4 months but she still rates it as her favourite . It was very popular among the locals in BDA compared to the DC10 and always seemed to offer a much smoother flight. I flew on BA. Eastern , Air Canada , Gulf Air and Delta on most marks including the -500 all of which seemed to have that approach on rails effect although the good ol' boys , ex USN who flew ATL-Bermuda used to love the scenic approach at low level along the south shore of Bermuda followed by a tight descending turn rolling level close in to runway 31 at Kindley Field which one of them assured me was about their favourite approach on the whole DL network.

Having thread drifted badly , PAX boys great photo summed up the 744 to me , Like many I have seen some great sights from 74 windows, The Bosphorus, the junction of the Niles on a rare daytime NBO-LHR, Carnasie VOR approach at JFK in wind and rain, Sydney harbour, Mt Rainer inbound to SEA and many many times the legendary checkerboard at Kai Tak. But they all started out , unless on easterlies of course , with the view Pax Boy posted , a damp day departing LHR with two great British Icons in view the M25 ! and RR on the nacelles.

A big part of my life , and it retires just as I do