PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 19th Jul 2020, 09:01
Cloud1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raph737

Parts of this I agree with; the government have been utterly useless in protecting the aviation sector. When VS were asking for a bail out and there was controversy over Branson the government made it crystal clear - probably due to protest by many - that airlines had to seek their own cost saving initiatives first. This undoubtedly includes reducing fleet and associated staff levels. So this could have ever minimised had the government thought about it a bit better when they were doing their initial response plan.

We will have to agree to disagree though on the main message of my post. I have met crew who have been critical of TUI management as well although the hostility and negativity against Cruz and Walsh is certainly extraordinary but I don’t really understand why anyone would continue to work in a company if they lack that respect. Leave. Pre-Covid there were other flying opportunities around although that cannot be said now.

I haven’t said BA are top dog at all but I have worked for several outfits in my time and I am amazed by how many people seem to think BA are so bad and everywhere is better yet seemingly do jack all about it and just stay where they are.

Ryanair have been criticised in the past for how they “treat” their employees. Everyone is different and perceive the management of a company differently. I have seen posts on this forum about how the retirement of the B747 is a ploy to get rid of crew - I mean FFS. Those are gas guzzling machines requiring a high number of bums on seats which simply cannot be filled hence why VS have got rid of theres. It makes business sense and was predictable but no, some people think it’s just about the crew. It is that attitude I find hard to digest. The way some crew comment about management on the company yammer page is a disgrace as well.

I maintain my original stance; the grass is not always greener. BA are far from perfect but I have yet to find a company that is. TUI and BA are two different companies with a different structure, different network and portfolio, different fleet size and less operational complication developed over years of union input and negotiation.