PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icelandair fires ALL cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2020, 19:19
tdracer

Received 157 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by an.other
Keeping the pilot's union on side now is pretty key for Icelandair. There fired cabin crew are going on strike on 8th August. That might not seem important, but it means any other staff will be breaking a strike. However, FI have brought back most of their furloughed pilots for this, so it's hard for the pilot's union to complain.
In the US, many companies with multiple unions have it written into the contracts that one union cannot support another union's strike (e.g. by refusing to cross the picket lines). That was the case at Boeing, where the Engineer's union had to remain at work when the Machinists went on strike, and visa versa. That being said, members of the non-striking union could not be forced to perform the jobs of the striking union - but they could do so voluntarily.*
No idea how relevant that is to what's happening at Icelandair...

* I personally found this rather frustrating - especially when I was a younger engineer, I would have liked to get some first hand experience with what the machinists did - but I didn't want to be a scab to do it...