PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2020, 18:28
just another jocky

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BBK
What I’m trying to illustrate that the gravestone was not vandalised at all. The new one, assuming that the one shown is that on the right, has the same text as previously. Only the name of the dog has been omitted. Does that qualify as rewriting history? All this outrage over a minor change that in my opinion was quite sensible given the evolving political climate.

Bing and Tashengurt made a very good point that it would be unacceptable for a serving member of the RAF especially from an ethnic minority to be faced with such a racially abusive word. Also, like Bob V I just find it unacceptable and insulting.

One last point I’d like to make is that it’s disingenuous to suggest that this word has only become unacceptable recently in the light of pc or woke culture. I first heard the name of the name of the dog probably in the late seventies from my late father. He was Vulcan ground crew on 230 OCU in the fifties so was well aware of the history of 617 squadron. He was quite clear to me that it was highly insulting to use that word. There you go, a lesson in treating your fellow men and women with a modicum of decency and respect from someone who would now be 86.

BBK
M8....a), they messed up the new one by dropping a full stop so it doesn't read correctly now. b) why are we afraid of the past? We should be holding up true examples of racism (and sexism and everything else bad) to show wrong they were. The second we erase, we lose the chance to show how unacceptable these things are today.

Anyone that is a child of the 80's, 70's, 60's and onwards back is aware of how society was then. We all should have known better, but that's easy to say today. Yes, respect to yr Dad, but cultural racism is difficult to erase and takes time.