PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2020, 10:34
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Nope

You’re still not convincing me.

Changing a memorial to a dog, on a UK military establishment that had an actually offensive, racist (even several years ago it would have held racist connotations) word written on it is not Orwellian.

Many of the things going on in the world right now can definitely be described in such a manner. I doubt you will ever convince me that changing the gravestone of a dog falls into the same category.

The book shouldn’t be changed, the history books that say the name of GG’s dog shouldn’t be changed, the 1950’s movie shouldn’t be changed (I believe a remake would be correct to come up with a new name) the fact that the code word was the same name shouldn’t be changed but the memorial has been and I think it was the right thing to do.

If the memorial had been on public ground I might have felt differently (although the local council would almost certainly have done the same thing) but the RAF has taken a stand and I think it is the correct one.

I realise I’m barking at the moon and many of you will never change your minds either but it is possible you’re wrong. Just as it possible I am wrong as well.

BV