PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2020, 17:47
SwitchMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at all the healthy discussion this has generated! Considering whether the “17 year old LAC” would, or should, be offended by the original gravestone is to my mind what BLM is asking us to do and what the almost endless D&I initiatives have been trying to instill.

I would be disappointed if anyone on this forum held the view that it would be acceptable to apply the dog’s name to anybody today; I can, however, accept people have different views and opinions about the historical use.

Perhaps by changing the gravestone we have missed the opportunity to have a colocated Force Development info panel inviting people to reflect on the changing attitudes to race in the Armed Forces and wider society? Of course, the same or similar info panel could be placed next to the new gravestone. History is important, learning from it is very important.

As far as the gravestone goes I’m ambivalent, but for the wider issue of what people find acceptable or offensive please don’t “catch up & shut up” or “move on”. We won’t get everything right, and today’s right might be judged differently in the future, but open minds are going to be healthier than closed ones.

If any of that offends you, great - tell me why and maybe I can learn from your perspective and experiences.

(Edited for poor spelling & grammar - which is obviously offensive!)

Last edited by SwitchMonkey; 17th Jul 2020 at 20:45.