PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 17th Jul 2020, 10:16
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueskymine
Basically you can’t move someone out of a role and fill it with someone else, and make the former redundant. Which is why as much as we don’t like it. Shorthaul is safe.
They won’t fill the vacated SH F/O role with ‘someone else’. It’ll be left blank and empty. There will be enough pilots left in SH to cover the planned flying for at least the next 12 months. Perhaps as much as 18 months depending on vaccine production. Certainly long enough to start bringing pilots back on from CR.

Originally Posted by Blueskymine
...do you think Qantas is going to spend 2 years retraining all the long haul guys to Shorthaul? By the time they’re all typed and checked out, long haul will be back.
No, I don’t. I suspect Qantas will prefer to leave those crew stood down or to heavy crew the A330 (short conversion to the A330 for the 50 or so A380 Captains remaining after the VR). Short conversion back to A380 or the A350 is coming down range at some stage close to your time frame.

Neither of your scenarios should be perceived as protecting a SH pilot from CR.

There are multiple ways this can all go down. Qantas has articulated it’s preferred route of people talking LWOP to avoid CR. That is just the first of a variety of different options that Qantas may pursue.

By taking LWOP you’re hoping that someone senior to you will be CR’d and you’ll beat them back to work. Again, I point out that if enough people take LWOP then NO ONE needs to be made redundant and you’re likely to come back to work in seniority anyway. IE you’ll be out of the company (no accrual of years of service for staff travel, long service leave trips, etc) for the exact length of time you would have been CR’d anyway.

I’m hopeful after some discussions I had today that the time line issue will be better resolved in the next week or so and S/Os will be able to make a more informed decision post the VR EOIs becoming binding.