PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2020, 21:39
valefan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland have done a decent job but have had a far easier task being so much more sparsely populated with many remote areas. England for example can look to the sparsely South West which has our lower rates of infection as a rule and England has the problem that it’s even more densely populated than the countrywide figure suggests as most of the major cities are located in an area from Bristol to London at its southern point and Hull to Liverpool at its Northern, that 200 x 200 mile square is full of major conurbations close together.

That said for all our testing to now be getting 500 or so in 50 odd million isn’t too bad and seem to be now in line with the levels that most of Europe’s bigger nations have been recording since squashing their levels, just a few weeks behind.

The task now is to manage it as best as we can in England and Europe and ensure we nip outbreaks in the bud quickly... after the mess they made of Leicester which has been harshly treated when most of its outbreaks are in certain areas rather than the city as a whole because the data took so long to get sorted let’s hope lessons are learnt.

As for the Germans, (and dare say we will see Brits doing the same in coming weeks) it’s stupidity and risks everyone else getting the chance to get away if spikes occur in resorts. Whilst in the main it probably won’t see it the chance isn’t worth taking. Lockdown fatigue and the desire to be “free again” I imagine is not likely to help, let’s be honest most of us just want the freedom we had just a few months ago and it’s been for me at least a real eye opener into what we took for granted before but we need to keep the virus at bay to avoid losing the gains in freedom we have over what we had in April!

Dark times and I don’t know how or when it will end and life will be how it was. 2020 won’t be one for the fond memories that’s for sure but hopefully in terms of travel and air travel we can manage it enough to save as many jobs in the industry and get some life back into it with Jet2 and TUI kicking back in.