PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:44
Anthony11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a Degree Before Becoming a Pilot

I am finishing my HSC this year and I would like to become a commercial pilot but I am unsure on if I should get a degree for essentially just a backup option for a career before I go onto becoming a pilot. I have been looking at degrees however nothing other than being a pilot interests me. I live in the Newcastle area so was looking at Hunter Valley Aviation Full-time diploma of aviation which is part of the BASAIR aviation college which I would need to be 18 on commencement but I am still 17 until mid-2021 so that was another reason for doing a degree in between. Some of the questions that I would like to know are;

1. Is it worth doing a 3-4 year degree at Newcastle Uni in something I'm not exactly interested in like Computer Science in this time between finishing school and doing flight training?

2. Is it worth getting a degree now if I will be a pilot and the degree will become outdated by the time I may need to use it and I feel it will be a waste of time?

3. Another thing I think about is should I just do a degree and work in an industry I'm not currently interested in that pays well and just fly privately? So basically passion vs salary however pilot would eventually pay well in time?

4. Then another option is doing a Bachelor of Aviation degree (or RMIT Associate Degree) and Graduate Diploma/Certificate which I would prefer doing than another degree by moving elsewhere where it brings me the problem of not having the funds to live?