PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 7th Jul 2020, 14:31
VThokie2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet II

I also dont think that the argument that people will not move to the sandpit due to the insecurity of employment holds water as if you do long enough in this industry you eventually realise that no airline is fundamentally secure no matter what country it is in. For instance I know many flight crew in the US who have lost jobs and been furloughed (in some cases several times) over their long careers.
Being furloughed in the US is very different than what EK just did. Firing people out of seniority order with no recall rights is a whole different category of uncertainty.

As a US pilot and a former EK guy I can tell you once the furloughs start here very few will be looking towards the Middle East as in previous years as EK was a far different place to work back then (a moot point as I suspect the industry’s recovery will be much more rapid in the US and Europe)....the word is out as I’d imagine it is in most of Europe. To get a 1st world pilot to move to the Middle East you need to offer superior QOL and money for the trouble. EK now provides neither in contrast to the previous economic upheavals.

Last edited by VThokie2; 7th Jul 2020 at 15:31.