PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 08:18
Uplinker

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
Certainly appears to be mental overload, for whatever reason.

We are not supposed to speculate but........a possible scenario is as follows:

Captain is a very autocratic Captain who had marginal ability and got into the LHS by other means.......and a meek or compliant F/O.

The Cap f****d up the descent, but did not want to lose face to his F/O, so instead of acknowledging his mistake and asking for extra track miles, the Cap kept saying he was comfortable, and barked orders to the F/O and then ignored instructions from ATC. I can imagine Cap saying "He [ATC] is a donkey, what does he know, we are on the ILS and visual....".

The A/P disconnect is consistent with wanting full speed brake to increase rate of descent. Selecting gear down is also consistent with this, although a bit desperate when all you need are some more track miles. But pride probably prevented Cap from asking or agreeing to longer vectors.

Cap almost got it sorted, but then, as he just about regained the profile, (but crazy fast), his "muscle memory" kicked in, and he barked "Gear", while stowing the speed brakes, as you would if you had just recovered a slightly high and a fast approach. Unfortunately, the Gear was already selected down but the F/O had stopped thinking for himself or was too cowed to say anything, so simply moved the lever in response to the shouted order, in this case to UP.

Cap, not realising the Gear reversal, now thought he had made it. He ignored all the warnings that must have been sounding and became focussed on the runway and the landing. He forgot speed, forgot stability and forgot landing checklist, one item of which is to check the gear is down. (As others have said ECAM memo might not have been displayed, nor the Wheels page on the SD. However there are secondary independent conventional gear indicator lights on Airbus FBW - 'three greens').

Cap flies down and flares, but because of ridiculous speed, the sink rate is much less than in a normal flare and he greases it on, lower and lower and..........oh sh*t !!...............TOGA!! They get airborne again but having fatally damaged the engines, the subsequent accident is now sadly inevitable. RIP

All possibly caused by ego, and a person not able to say, "Oooops, sorry, I made a mess of that! [descent]. Can you ask for some more track miles". RIP

I have a simple mantra I use at a few miles out from landing to double-check we can land safely: "Fly......By......Wire".

F = Flaps. Are they set for landing?
B = Brakes. Is there any residual pressure and has auto-brake been selected?
W = Wheels. Is the gear down?

As I say each item quietly to myself, I visually check the appropriate indicators in front of me

Last edited by Uplinker; 3rd Jul 2020 at 08:40.